Client: Qatar Shell GTL
Location: Science and Technology Center, Doha
Project: Shell Quality Qatarization
Services Provided: Enhanced language proficiency, soft skills and English for Specific Purposes used at Royal Dutch Shell and Qatar Petroleum’s Pearl Gas to Liquids (GTL) project in Qatar’s North Field.
The International Center for Accelerative Learning (ICAL) was chosen to create tailor-made programs that would train Qatari nationals in the language skills, soft-skills, and core curriculum content required by industry and the propriety nature of Shell.
Scope of Work
- ICAL conducted an assessment of 87 employees to measure competencies and proficiency in business English, interpretive and interpersonal communication, presentation skills, English for Specific Purposes- oil and gas – knowledge economy skills, globalisation Skills, and 21st-century learning strategies.
- A secondary goal was to increase the employees’ knowledge, skills, and attitudes to enable them to contribute in meetings, write reports, and give presentations at a managerial level – all these tasks required intermediate level business English skills.
- On-site management and liaison with the International Center for Accelerative Learning (ICAL) for 20 Qatari staff. The goal was to reach English for Specific Purposes proficiency in 6 weeks.
- ICAL conducted 2 levels. The students learned to think critically, work in teams, develop and give presentations and conduct research. Furthermore, they acquired multiple innovation skills and workforce development skills which are key to success in the 21st
- Exceeding expectations, the participants achieved a band 2 language proficiency increase as well as increased observable soft skills. They delivered presentations of their innovations to members of the royal family, upper supervisors, and managers who had come from Shell international locations to see for themselves the employees’ achievements and vastly improved language proficiency. This prompted Sheikh Thani Al-Thani to state:
“This is more than English. This is a workforce development program where soft skills are as important as English proficiency “